Reubs and I love geocaching so he is already very familiar with a compass and as we love a bit of science I suggested we made our own compass. Reubs loved the idea so we went all bushcraft and made a compass out of cork and a needle.
What You Need
- A Sewing Needle about 2 inch / 5 cm long
- A Magnet (a fridge magnet is perfect)
- A slice of cork (cut a circular piece of cork from a wine cork)
- A bowl half full of water
What You Do
- Rub the fridge magnet along the length of the needle in one direction.
- Carefully push the needle through the side of the cork piece.
- Carefully place the cork with the needle in it on the water in the bowl.
Boom that’s it you now have a compass and the needle will point along the North South Axis, the end you were rubbing the magnet towards will be magnetic North and should point to North.