This time in our STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Maths) experiment we decided to make a self inflating balloon using bicarbonate of soda.
What You Need
- Bicarbonate of Soda
- Bottle ( around 300ml is perfect for a small balloon)
What You Do
- Pour about 1 cup of vinegar into your bottle
- Fill your balloon with around 2 dessert spoons of Bicarbonate of Soda (we used the spoon and a funnel to fill the deflated balloon full)
- Securely fasten the balloon over the neck of the bottle, holding the balloon so the bicarbonate of soda doesn’t go into the bottle.
- Now the fun begins, lift the balloon up and tip the contents into the bottle.
Boom, you will get a fizz and the balloon with start to inflate. Experiment with different sizes of balloons and different amounts of bicarbonate of soda and see how you balloon inflates more or less.